Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Another half-baked offering for the folks

It surprised me when I read in a fairly recent dialogue between Ken Wilber and Andrew Cohen that Cohen was surprised and disappointed by the notion that THIS "something" (The Universe) (manifestation and Evolution) is Spirit's non-purposeful game of hide-and-seek with IT(SELF), a Kosmic Joke, but a "serious" one. It seemed to surprise him and, I felt, disappoint him (he even said so, or words to that effect, if I recall correctly). It's an ancient idea, though. I got it from Alan Watts who got it from Vedanta and/or Mahayana Buddhism et al, and I got it through my own experiences, although Watts didn't get into development/Evolution, which is a novel Integral idea/discovery (though Sri Aurobindo was pre-Watts, so ??)

Anyway, this doesn't mean we aren't to try to help the game along, but I, too, am guilty of getting into the collective ego that Cohen "despises" so much in individuals, or, I should say, demands it not be indulged a whit. I get into it with my anger at the way things are going. I accept my anger. But as Wilber puts it, are we not "to love until it hurts" (there is profundity and room for debate perhaps in this), and does not each higher, deeper, wider, bigger, more inclusive holon carry with it an imperative to care and help even more in compassionate service and Love?

Turn the circle into a Spiral, but don't forget the timeless already-perfection of the Empty Mirror. O to stop going in circles and rest at the Still Point of The Turning Universe.

No comments: